Friday, January 23, 2009

day 1

First day in D.C.- and I’m already exhausted. This morning we woke up at 7:30- not too bad, except for the fact that that’s 4:30 Santa Barbara time. But still, I wasn’t too tired. Slowly, we all woke up and got ready to go out into the THIRTEEN DEGREE weather. Yeah, thirteen. However, with the help of my warm puffy jacket, mittens, scarf, and toasty Uggs, I was able to survive. And it wasn’t that bad. The only times I got really cold was when we were standing in one place for a long time. Most of the time, though, we were on the move, making sure we caught that metro train going to wherever we needed to go at the time. Austin and I did the first interview of the day with Eugene, a security guy who worked at the Falls Church Metro station. It was a really great interview- his father had been a civil rights activist and took him, when he was 16 years old, to the historic march on Washington. He had seen a bunch of inaugurations in the past, and had worked at the metro for-get this- 32 years. After an awesome tour of the capitol (Wow! That is one big building), we headed to Ben’s Chili Bowl, one of the most famous restaurants in D.C. (Obama ate there a couple days ago!). I had a chili dog and chili cheese fries- it was SO good. Afterwards, we made a conga line and danced through the entire restaurant. As we were leaving, we got everyone in the restaurant to yell “Yes we can!” We got it on camera, and that was definitely the highlight of the day. Okay, well I’m tired, so I’m gonna go! Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment